Thursday, January 22, 2009

Print v. Broadcast: Obama picking favorites?

We all make mistakes, right?

As a journalist, I've had my share of corrections. It's never pretty.

And Chief Justice John Roberts found out just how unsexy --- and embarrassing --- corrections are yesterday during President Barack Obama's first day.

Roberts had to give Obama the oath again.

Perhaps the second-most interesting thing about this re-oathing (So nice, he did it twice! lol...I kid, I kid.) is that in Obama denied the major news stations access to the re-oathing.

Print reporters were allowed though.

Yesterday was supposed to be Obama's kick off to a "new era" of open democracy, where he's pledged to keep doors open and press access plentiful.

I honestly don't thing it's that big of a deal...but it does strike me as a bit odd.

The one question that's on my mind more so than "Why weren't news channels allowed?" is this: "Why were press representatives enough?"

I for one think it has a lot ot do with our new digital age.

No comments:

Post a Comment