Friday, January 30, 2009

Gannett profits drop...but at least there's still a "profit"

Many, well, actually most, of my friends working in media are at Gannett newspapers.

They told me about the furloughs. Some were slightly panicked, while others saw the silver lining: "At least we're staving off layoffs."

But then today, I stumbled across this bit of news on Bloomberg.com which I'm sure I'll be getting phone calls and text messages about from my friends as the day goes on.

Gannett's profits have dropped by 36 percent as ad revenue continues to decline. I know, analysts know, but most of all my friends fear that this may be the final nail in the coffin.

This might be it. The layoffs might be coming. My friends tell me that that possibility is all they can think about when they walk into work. And that lingering fear really is taking its toll: One of my friends is drinking more than usual, the other has warned her parents that she may need to move back home, and yet another is on panic attack medication.

I pray for them, I lend a listening ear and I keep an eye out for employment opportunities for them --- as well as for myself because Heaven only knows if I'll be able to find a job when I get out of school.

If things go well (and this is where the digital media angle comes in), I may have a Website for them to work at in a few months in the event that they do get laid off.

My master's project is the creation of a Website that will track the school to prison pipeline of young black males. While a large part of the site will be aggregated content, the site will need skilled journalists to analyze statistics and write them into works of journalism.

I think sites like mine and others just may be the parachute that individual professionals need as they jump from the burning, crashing plane that is this industry.....was that metaphor too much?

2 comments:

  1. I got shivers reading the first half - I'm so sorry about all your friends and all of everyone's friends who are losing their jobs or living in fear. It's hard times for everybody right now. Journalists have to worry not just about their jobs, but about the profession as a whole. Everyone knows that the plane is crashing and burning, but everyone is still trying to revive the pilot (he's unconscious). So, um, someone(s) should just get in the cockpit and try to take the controls. Learning things on the fly is sometimes the best way to learn. I think that your metaphor was apt btw. I took it way beyond too far.
    Happy that you can see positive outcomes in the future and that you want to have a role in making that happen. That's great and it gives me hope that someday, I'll be able to get a job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your style, Amber. If journalists can manage to stick together through this storm, we just might come out stronger on the other side. That sounds a little corny, but I believe it.

    Also, your Master's project sounds fascinating. I can't wait to check it out.

    Oh yeah - can I have a job?

    ReplyDelete