Saturday, January 17, 2009

Bloggers: Card-carrying members of the Press

I guess you could call this a victory for the metamorphosis of journalism as we know it.

It's slightly "old news", but still, it's new to me.

Long story short, a few bloggers in New York City sued the city after the NYPD denied them press credentials.

I guess you could also call this a further blurring of the lines or maybe a better demarkation of what 21st century journalism is.

...but with this "victory" will all bloggers now consider themselves "real journalists"?

Does this now make government entities more accessible to members of the public ( or "journalists") and open to more scrutiny? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Will it help or hinder democracy?

Who is honestly "credentialed" enough to be considered a "journalist"?

What the hell is the definition of a "real" "journalist" these days anyway?

(Note: the excessive use of quotation marks isn't an attempt to be snarky. I'm doing air quotes with my fingers as I work through typing this out...seriously. lol)

*sigh*...I won't even try to answer these questions. But I welcome your answers.

1 comment:

  1. right, it is so hard to see "who is a journalist" anymore! after what has happened in the past few years, it seems like only the general definition of a journalist have survived: we are down to abstract definitions now that we have been forced to reinvent our concrete realities.

    ReplyDelete